What can the Government Records Council (GRC) do for me if access to records is denied?

Prior to filing a complaint, you may want to contact the GRC to ask for their assistance or inquire about the denial. You can contact the Council on their toll-free helpline, 866-850-0511, by emailing the GRC, or from their website. If you want to file an official complaint with the Council and make use of the formal mediation process, the first step for you (the requester) is to submit a written complaint, alleging that a custodian of a government record has improperly denied you access to a specified record. The complaint form can be obtained from the toll-free number or the website.

Show All Answers

1. Why is there an Open Public Records Act?
2. What is the policy behind Open Public Records Act (OPRA)?
3. What are government records?
4. What records are accessible to the public?
5. Why are some records exempt from disclosure?
6. What are some records that cannot be disclosed?
7. What entities doesn't Open Public Records Act (OPRA) cover?
8. Whom do I contact to obtain records from public agencies?
9. What do I need to do to request records?
10. Is there a form I have to use?
11. Do I have to pay for copies in advance of receiving them?
12. How soon can I get the records I requested?
13. What happens if my request is denied?
14. What are reasons for denials?
15. Can I ask for a record in a specific format?
16. Can I get immediate access to certain records?
17. How is personal information protected?
18. Does redaction apply to viewing or inspecting records?
19. What is the cost of paper copies of records?
20. What is the Government Records Council?
21. What can the Government Records Council (GRC) do for me if access to records is denied?
22. What is mediation?
23. How will the Government Records Council (GRC) conduct the investigation?
24. What happens if it is going to Superior Court?
25. How can I get more information about the law?
26. What are some definitions from the law?