What happens if my request is denied?

If a request for a record is denied, there are two avenues of redress. The requester may file a suit in Superior Court or apply to the Government Records Council for relief. For appeals to the Government Records Council, the complaint must be in writing, and it should set forth the facts regarding the circumstances of the request, the specific records asked for, and the denial of access by the records custodian. Appeals in the Superior Court require a $200 filing fee and must follow established court rules. If the denial is found to be unreasonable, either the court or the council can reverse the decision.

However, prior to taking formal action, the requester may want to contact the Government Records Council for advice. Depending on the circumstances, the Council’s staff may be able to intervene and resolve the matter without a formal complaint being filed.

Show All Answers

1. Why is there an Open Public Records Act?
2. What is the policy behind Open Public Records Act (OPRA)?
3. What are government records?
4. What records are accessible to the public?
5. Why are some records exempt from disclosure?
6. What are some records that cannot be disclosed?
7. What entities doesn't Open Public Records Act (OPRA) cover?
8. Whom do I contact to obtain records from public agencies?
9. What do I need to do to request records?
10. Is there a form I have to use?
11. Do I have to pay for copies in advance of receiving them?
12. How soon can I get the records I requested?
13. What happens if my request is denied?
14. What are reasons for denials?
15. Can I ask for a record in a specific format?
16. Can I get immediate access to certain records?
17. How is personal information protected?
18. Does redaction apply to viewing or inspecting records?
19. What is the cost of paper copies of records?
20. What is the Government Records Council?
21. What can the Government Records Council (GRC) do for me if access to records is denied?
22. What is mediation?
23. How will the Government Records Council (GRC) conduct the investigation?
24. What happens if it is going to Superior Court?
25. How can I get more information about the law?
26. What are some definitions from the law?