November 8, 2021 - November 12, 2021
Zone 3 Leaf Collection
Monday, November 8, 2021
NEW THIS YEAR: DESIGNATED WEEKS BY ZONE
For curbside pick-up, the town is divided into ten leaf collection zones, which are now consistent with the curbside recycling zones.
This year, as part of an increased effort to minimize leaves in the streets that can clog our stormwater systems, particularly following the impact of Tropical Storm Ida, Public Works will collect leaves by zone during designated weeks. This process will begin on November 1. Please follow the guidelines below.
- Do not place leaves in the street prior to your assigned time frame. Leaves may be left at your property's edge earlier than your collection week, but should not be in the street until the designated dates.
- Place leaves in narrow rows alongside the curb but leaving a space along the gutter to allow for drainage.
- Do not place leaves any closer than ten feet from any stormwater inlet.
- Do not place twigs, tree branches, pumpkins, grass, or other plant debris, including discarded mums, in the leaf pile. Note that the Town will not pick up leaves with mixed debris, as only leaves are accepted at the Union County compost facilities where the leaves are deposited.
- Whenever possible, do not park on the street when the collection crews are in your zone.
The Westfield Fire Department warns residents to never park a vehicle on a pile of leaves, even if the pile is wet. Hot metal parts in the undercarriage may ignite the leaves and cause a potentially serious fire.