The Discovery Unit is a vital component of the Records & Information Technology (IT) Bureau and serves as the link between the Westfield Police Department and the Westfield Municipal Court. It is responsible for providing copies of police incident reports and other essential records and documents to the municipal prosecutor and to attorneys for defendants.
The Discovery Unit also provides copies of many of the records and certifications needed to prosecute motor vehicle and traffic offenses, as well as proofs of officers’ training and equipment certifications.
The Discovery Unit ensures that all requested reports and other records and documents are forwarded in a timely and complete manner and in accordance with applicable court rules.
Options for submitting a discovery request:
All discovery requests must contain the following information:
- Name of defendant;
- Department report number;
- Date of offense;
- Complaint / summons / citation number (photocopy if available);
- Offense (statutory reference);
- Name of officer and/or badge number;
- Trial date (if set);
- If from a hearing but no charges were filed, the letter of request must be accompanied by proof of restraining order.
Discovery requests may be returned unprocessed if they fail to provide any of the above information.
Should you have any questions, please contact the Discovery Unit at 908-789-4010 or email@example.com.