Patrol Services is the largest – and most visible – component of the Westfield Police Department. It is comprised of uniformed patrol officers and patrol supervisors who are primarily charged with the following basic functions:
- Responding to reports of crimes and criminal offenses, emergencies, and other calls for service and/or public assistance;
- Conducting high-visibility police patrols to detect and deter crime, and to protect lives and property;
- Enforcing laws, such as state statutes, local ordinances, and motor vehicle and traffic laws;
- Identifying community needs and providing support services to those persons in need of assistance.
The Westfield Police Department is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. It can be reached via telephone at 9-1-1 for emergencies and at 908-789-4000 (Extension “0” for the Dispatch Center) for non-emergencies.
The Westfield Police Department currently operates with the following authorized patrol staffing:
- Four (4) uniformed Lieutenants, who serve as Watch Commanders, or Officers “In-Charge” of the Stationhouse;
- Six (6) uniformed Sergeants, who serve as field supervisors;
- Thirty (30) uniformed Police Officers.
All patrol officers and supervisors are equipped with the Glock 17 9mm pistol, 22” Monadnock Expandable Baton (MEB), and First Defense MK-3 Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) aerosol personal defense spray.
Additionally, all first-line patrol vehicles are equipped with the Benelli M4 12-gauge tactical shotgun. Select trained and qualified officers are equipped with the Colt M4 5.56 carbine rifle.
The Westfield Police Department utilizes the Ford Police Interceptor Utility (PIU) for its patrol vehicle. Both marked and unmarked versions, as well as hybrid models, are presently in service.
Marked versions are black and white in color and have a silver-bordered Westfield Police Department emblem prominently displayed on the front door of both sides, along with a thick black stripe, thin silver accent stripes, and white lettering. Supervisors’ vehicles are distinguished by a distinctive gold-bordered Westfield Police Department emblem, thin gold accent stripes, and gold lettering.
The Westfield Police Department also utilizes Harley Davidson FLHTP Electra Glide motorcycles, Trek Powerfly Police Electric Patrol bicycles, and Polaris Ranger and Kawasaki Teryx utility terrain vehicles (UTVs), in addition to traditional foot patrols, to accomplish its fundamental mission – which is “to protect life and property, enforce the law in a fair and impartial manner, and preserve the peace, order, and safety of the community its serves.”